Cambodian Landscape

Cambodian Landscape

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Confession to an addiction


While we were in Thailand waiting for our son Jonah to be born, I was introduced to Thai Iced Tea   “Cha-yen”. I was instantly addicted to this tea as it’s available at every street vendor and even in the 7-Eleven stores, which are everywhere.

This tea consists of sugar, Thai Black tea, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk. It has to be the sweetest tea I have ever had, and of course it became my new favorite tea.

You would think that Cambodia would have this tea since it borders Thailand, but sadly I have not found the exact same thing. Cambodia has a similar tea, but it isn’t the same. “Same Same But Different” is the saying here.

Thai Black Tea
Luckily I have been able to find all the ingredients in Cambodia so I can now make my own Cha-yen Tea. Please don’t tell my dentist. I’m sure that 10 out of10 dentists don’t recommend anyone drinking this type of tea.

If you’re interested in trying the tea, here's the recipe:

Mix together
1-2 Tbsp sugar
2-3 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk
5-6 oz of hot brewed Thai Black Tea
Stir until sugar is dissolved.

Fill one large glass with ice.
Add 1 Tbsp evaporated milk.
Add mixture from above.
Add 1 Tbsp evaporated milk.
Enjoy yummy sweet goodness. This takes sweet tea to a whole new level.

-Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment